Mineral and Pink: The Sack Dress Come Back!

Natural Fashion

SACK DRESSES FOR ANYONE

Recently, I have worked to expand the types of clothing I wear. The shape of a garment can make or break a look. For one everyone’s body is shaped differently, and certain cuts of a garment may fall on one figure better than another.
Additionally, the shape or cut of a garment can make a person’s shape seem bigger or smaller. One such cut is a sack dress. This cut lays straight down, almost as it the dress is made of a potato sack. This often causes the wearer to look like they are drowning in the dress as it does not define curves or accentuate the waist at all. The cut is very rectangular can be hard to fit properly.

I have steered clear of this cut because I always felt that I looked less put together when my clothes seemed baggy. The sack dress does this in spades. Not only that but growing up I often saw this look in stores like Catherine's which caters extensively to plus women, but stylistically looks like it is targeted at middle-aged to older women. The exact opposite of what a plus teen wants to look like, I can assure you.  So, I made a dedicated effort to avoid sack dresses that washed away my silhouette and made me look middle aged. Instead, I turned to curvy hugging dresses and waist accentuating shapes.

Now that I’m in my mid-twenties, with a better understanding of myself and my body, I am striving to undo a great deal of the pressures that I have placed on myself. This outfit is inspired by that thought. One of a few sack dresses that I have acquired in the past year. This one, in particular, was giving to me by my parents after they returned from South Africa! One reason why I’m sharing it with you all during Black History Month.

TORRID ACCESSORIES

I also just love these sunglasses! They are to die for! And while the dress was a one of a kind, these sunnies are from Torrid and a great buy! Check out more Sun Glasses from Torrid, HERE!!!


How do you like sack dresses? Do you ever try a new look or cut that you thought was unflattering? Drop me a comment and let me know!

And for more of my lovely looks in African Grab, check out these other posts!
HEREHEREHEREHERE, and HERE!

Popular Posts