How to Dress Business Causal

Hello, All My Curvy Divas,

I hope your summer is going well!  I know that I have been a little more absent this summer than normal, mainly due to that fact that I have been working full time at an externship. But will be posting with more frequency in the next few weeks. YEYAH! That means for looks and fashion for you!
But speaking of an externship, I have had to shift my wardrobe up a notch, or rather focus it more on outfits that are acceptable in the professional world. I learned quickly, at my externship that formal work wear was not necessary, and even awkwardly stood out, business casual was the standard at this location. And thus I was stuck with a conundrum:

HOW DO YOU DRESS BUSINESS CAUSAL?


We have all run into that problem before. Not just where you stand in your closet and wonder what to wear, but where you’re unsure if this loo meets the level of appropriateness for this situation. Just how casual is Business Causal? Or even, just how business-like should my outfit be?
There really is no one answer as each work environment is different. The company I was at this summer openly welcomed a more relaxed look, though I never wore anything so casual as jeans, I was able to relax away from constantly wearing a blazer and pantsuit.
 I have 3 rules that I live by in these circumstances:

Less Formal

First, Tone down from the formal structured look. If your whole outfit is boxy, switch something out! Basically, break up that pantsuit! Wear the blazer but not the matching pants, or wear the pants without the blazer. This also allows your pantsuit to get more use and more tips out of the closet! I know I have this problem of only wearing a pantsuit every now and again, I don’t want people to say I wear the same thing. But by separating the pieces I get more looks. This is your chance to be creative. By sticking with a classic black blazer and a white shirt I can kick it up a notch with bright fire engine red pants!

Business Dressing mean still Appropriate

Second, don’t go sexy. Many confuse casual with sexy, or rather THEIR version of casual which just happens to always be sexy. However, the workplace is not the arena for risqué clothing or even peeping clothing. Now what I mean by that is clothing that’s on the edge. Making Business clothes, Business Causal is not okay to wear the skirt that is a touch too short. IT means you can wear a pattern or maybe a brighter color than normal. It does not mean that you can wear that cute lace-up shirt that shows off your cleavage, but it can mean wearing more than the basic collared shirt. Remember, this is still clothing to be worn to work and you never want to be inappropriate. Unsure, err on the safe side.

Business Casual is Clean Cut

And Finally, Always look polished! This goes to the point that you never want to look sloppy when you are in the professional world. How you look and how well you maintain your self reflects on your reputation. Showing up at work with wrinkly clothes is a “NO GO”! You never want to look lazy. Wearing khakis, a piece usually considered less formal than dress pants, if well ironed and matched with a more formal/fancy top, can be appropriate. Steer away from items that are too baggy, if done wrong often make the wearer look sloppy. This is always a problem in plus wear, be wary of whether a boyfriend cut shirt or blazer look good on your shape or if it really just makes you look boxy and unfinished.

Here is a great look from my professional Business Causal summer wardrobe.
Have more ideas? Let me know in the comments below!

Popular Posts