Poppies and Patience


Hello All,

The story of this week is patience. 

 I have spent a lot of time in the last few weeks considering how I can improve myself and my interactions with others. In school, I especially loved helping others. My friends and I would study together and I would at times teach a subject or encourage someone in their studying. I love to see others encouraged and to give hope to them. 

On the one hand, this is a lot easier when I am "up" in spirit and feeling good. It is a lot harder when I am down on occasion. One time, I can remember having a lot to accomplish on my own plate. Between work and school and was just feeling down as I was not getting the results that I wanted. Especially when studying for the Bar exam. I had been working hard in my classes but had just got back an assignment with a poor grade, and didn't know why. That day one of my friends asked for help in a different subject and I agreed. However, when we attempted to review that subject, which I excelled at, my friend continuously made discouraging remarks. The whole study session continuously stating that they were going to fail and that this was pointless. I became increasingly frustrated. I thought to my self. Well if you're just going to fail then why am I here wasting my time helping you. If you're not going to listen to what I have to say, as I'm trying to teach you why bother! 

Ironically, what they needed from me at that moment was the encouragement to continue not a short temper or a statement of "Why Bother..." The best thing I did was set my own feelings aside and continue to help my friend, reiterating that they could do it and could learn the subject. My friend went on to pass the Bar Exam on the first try. The California bar exam pass rate was only 40% that year, meaning a majority of taker failed the exam. So, I have been pushing myself to still be encouraging no matter what is going on with me. The biggest thing that helps in this instance is patience. And boy did I find I have to work extra hard to exercise my patience muscle. Talk about a roll of the eyes. When feeling down many of us tend to have a shorter fuse than others and not to mention far less tolerance for crazy!!! 

I have to work extra hard to not let little things keep me from being a positive influence those around me. If my goal is to encourage it does no good to brings someone down just because I am feeling down. Or to snap at someone who has annoyed me in the meantime. Sometimes I have to escape to nature for a little to rebuild my patience. These photos were taken in my parent's back yard with the California Poppies in full bloom. I can attest to the fact that standing with the Beauty of God's creation all around me can calm my spirit like no other. And remind me that God's patience with me is nothing compared to what I have given to others. And I am grateful to have been granted his love, care, and encouragement. So, as I look toward the California sky I see only God's love and care, and I hope that some of it may rub off on me.


Popular Posts